Bumblebee awoke at 5 a.m. like he does EVERY morning (Enter side eye). The joys of being a parent. So I convinced myself that being up at that hour on a Saturday morning was a GOOD thing. I can workout, do a little reading, prep for the work week, all before the rest of the world wakes…or I could cook breakfast…a REAL one, not my usual boiled egg and turkey bacon. I know, it’s not sexy, but it’s protein. I mostly eat for fuel. Shrugs.
I had a taste for something comforting, carby, something that makes me feel like I was wrapped in a snuggly, lbvs. At the same time, my motivation, a size10 St. John dress is hanging in my closet; so I can’t get too warm and fuzzy.
Not wanting my usual protein packed breakfast, I look around the kitchen, desperate, knowing I don’t buy a lot of carbs, I spy 2 sweet potatoes on the counter. Smart girl! I think to myself. Homefry like sweet potatoes, paired with chicken sausage, bell peppers, onions, and a gooey, golden, drizzling egg yolk sounded just like that: Being wrapped in a Snuggly.
Sweet Potato Chicken Sausage Hash
2 chicken sausage links, crumbled
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 small onion, julienned
1 small red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 jalapeno, diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
*2 sweet potatoes, peeled (optional) and diced
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of *paprika
*Salt/Pepper to taste
1. Brown chicken sausage in a large *skillet. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbs. olive oil and add onions, bell peppers, and jalapeño. Sauté for about 2 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, lightly coat remaining olive oil over sweet potatoes and add garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt/pepper to taste.
4. Stirring occasionally, cook sweet potatoes, until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, about 15 minutes.
5. In a non-stick skillet, crack eggs, and cook until set.
6. Plate hash, place eggs on top. Sprinkle with scallions and parsley. Devour.
*Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise. Then cut each half in half the same way. Slice. Then cube for the perfect potato hash shape.
*Regular paprika works fine, but I like smoked paprika. It adds depth and more flavor without the calories. This is what clean cheating is about! You can buy it from your local grocer. I LOVE Penzey’s. It’s my go to for unique spices and flavors.
*I’m a Pink Himalayan Sea Salt type of girl. There’s just something about it. It has a subtle saltiness to it. You can also use kosher salt if you don’t want to get fancy. 😉
*Cast iron skillet is a staple in my kitchen. If you don’t have one, GET IT IN YOUR LIFE! It promotes even cooking/heating to give your food that nice, golden, crispy, crusty, goodness. I bought ours on Amazon.